Here’s a gluten and added sugar-free granola you can enjoy for breakfast or as a snack, that can be simply sweetened by serving with some fresh fruit. Better still, brighten up a dessert of yoghurt and fresh fruit by sprinkling some over for a bit of crunch.
Make sure you buy raw buckwheat groats as opposed to toasted. The latter is hard as a rock unless it’s been soaked. So remember, raw! And use these measurements as a guide – feel free to mix it up according to your taste.
- 500g - raw buckwheat groats
- 200g - unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3cup - pumpkin seeds
- 2tsp - ground cinnamon
- 1tbsp - coconut oil
- 1tsp - vanilla extract
- 1tbsp - tahini (or nut butter)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celcius.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Melt and combine the coconut oil with vanilla and tahini in a saucepan.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry ingredients, making sure the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spread mixture out in an even layer on a baking tray (we lined ours with non-stick baking paper). Roast for 15-20 minutes, remove from oven to stir.
- Return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the mixture starts to turn brown and begins to feel dry.
- Remove from the over and allow to cool at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to one month.