If you’re struggling to justify the cost of free-range or organic chicken then look no further. Utilising cheaper cuts like drumsticks or wings is a great way to eat a little better without it costing too much. This is a more modern take on the humble chicken leg – with tamarind puree used to give an appealing sour note to the dish and curry leaves to finish the dish off. This is a super fast dish using minimal pots and pans – perfect for a weeknight meal.
- 1tbsp - olive oil
- 6 - free-range or organic chicken drumsticks
- 1 - brown onion, roughly chopped
- 400g - tinned tomatoes
- 2tbsp - tamarind puree
- 1cup - water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- A handful fresh curry leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in an oven-proof pan.
- Throw in the onion and drumsticks and fry for 5 minutes until the drumsticks are well browned on all sides.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, then fill up the empty tin with water, stir in the tamarind puree, then pour into the pan.
- Grind a healthy amount of black pepper straight into the dish and transfer to the oven.
- Roast for 45 minutes until the chicken is brown and the sauce has thickened.
- Take to the table and serve with the curry leaves spread over the top.