Ah custard! It always reminds us of childhood. In some of our families, Birds Custard Powder was a fixture, and in a nostalgic moment recently we checked out the ingredients list. Yep, high in sugar and not much else in it resembling real food. So, here’s a no added sugar and dairy free custard that is not only a cinch to make, but should provoke some happy memories of this comforting dessert.
- 5 - Medjool dates, pitted
- 400mL - tin coconut milk
- 400mL - tin coconut cream
- 2 - eggs
- 2 - egg yolks
- 1 - vanilla bean
- 1 - punnet fresh blueberries
- cacao to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- Process the dates with a little of the coconut milk until you have a smooth consistency.
- Combine the date mixture with the remainder of the coconut milk and cream.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and egg yolks together.
- Beat the beaten eggs into the coconut and date mixture.
- Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the custard mixture and mix in well.
- Pour the mixture into 4 x 200ml ramekins (or you can spread over 6 smaller ones).
- Put the ramekins into a baking dish and pour enough boiling water to come up halfway up the sides.
- Pop the baking dish with ramekins into the oven. Check the custard after 25 minutes – we’ve found the cooking time can really depend on your oven. You want the custard to be wobbling just a little bit in the centre so if it’s jiggling like crazy give it some extra time.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve, then dust with a little cacao and scatter with blueberries.