A totally delicious, finger-licking, super-nutritious snack. You are just four simple ingredients away from getting your crunch on.
- 1 - bunch of tuscan kale (approx. 12 stalks)
- 2tsp - fennel seeds
- 1tsp - sea salt flakes
- 1tbsp - olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Strip the fleshy leaves of the kale from the stalks. The easiest way to do this is holding the base of the stalk with one hand and pulling down the leaf with the other, in one swoop. Roughly tear up the leaves.
- Drizzle a large flat tray with olive oil, grease the entire tray using your hands.
- Place the kale in the tray, mix the kale around with your hands aiming to lightly coat the kale in oil.
- Season lightly with a pinch of salt and place in the oven for 15 minutes until wafer thin and crispy. Check regularly as cooking time may vary due to the thickness of the oven tray.
- Once cooked, leave to cool and make the fennel salt (see below).
- Place kale chips into a large bowl, add the fennel salt and toss around so all the chips are seasoned. Enjoy!
- Place the fennel seeds into a dry frying pan and toast over a medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Seeds will turn slightly darker in colour and sizzle. Keep a close eye, they turn very quickly!
- Remove from heat and add to a pestle and mortar or spice grinder with the teaspoon of salt and grind into a powder.