Contains dairy and eggs
This gluten-free blini recipe is incredibly versatile, and both the batter and cooked blinis freeze well!
You can make the batter on the day you want to use it, or leave it in the fridge overnight. Make small blinis for canapés topped with smoked fish, berries & ricotta, or caramelised onion and goat’s curd. Make larger blinis for a substantial dinner or breakfast – the world is your blini!
- 3/4cup - buckwheat flour
- 1/4cup - brown rice flour
- 7g - dry yeast
- 1tsp - salt
- 2 - eggs, separated
- 1/2cup - milk, gently warmed
- knob of butter
- In a bowl, combine the flours, yeast and salt.
- Add the egg yolks and milk, and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Set aside in a warm spot for an hour and a half. Alternatively, let it rest in the fridge overnight.
- After the mixture has risen and looks bubbly, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and fold carefully into the batter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, and add just enough butter to coat the pan.
- When it starts to sizzle, pour approximately 2 tablespoons mixture into the pan and cook for a few minutes on each side.
- Keep warm in the oven while cooking the rest.