If you find it hard to think about breakfast or lack the time to make it, a batch of bircher in the fridge could be the solution!
Bircher was originally developed by a doctor named Maximillian Bircher Brenner, however, shop bought bircher and mueslis are often crammed with sugars. Here, we’ve concocted a simple and delicious recipe just for you – no added sugar required.
When deciding on fruit to serve, think seasonal! Here are some suggestions:
- Summer: fresh berries and/or stone fruit, chopped
- Autumn: pears, cored and diced
- Winter: apple and rhubarb, chopped and poached
- Spring: banana, finely sliced, mango, diced
Tip: If you eat dairy products and don’t typically have coconut yoghurt in the fridge, you can sub out the coconut yoghurt used for the topping with plain dairy yoghurt.
- 1cup - quinoa flakes (or rolled oats)
- 1/4cup - chia seeds
- 1cup - coconut, shredded or fresh
- zest of a lemon
- 1 - apple, grated
- 2.5cup - coconut water (or substitute with plain water)
- 1/4cup - toasted nuts of your choice (walnuts/pistachio or pecans)
- coconut yoghurt
- fresh fruits
- Simply combine flakes (or oats), chia seeds, coconut, lemon zest, apple, coconut water and nuts into a large bowl or jar and stir to thoroughly combine.
- Cover and leave in the fridge overnight ready for the morning.
- When ready to eat, spoon out a portion in a bowl, and top with yogurt, fruits and seeds to serve.