Tabbouleh is traditionally made with cracked wheat and lots of fresh herbs. Here we’ve used cauliflower as the base of the salad alongside buckwheat kernels to give it a pleasant crunch.
We love the tang of the roasted lemon slices, but you could substitute orange slices if you’d prefer a sweeter flavour profile.
- Add about 1/3 cup each of pine nuts and pistachio nuts to make it more substantial
- Add seeds from a pomegranate for a burst of colour and flavour!
- 1/2 - head of cauliflower, finely chopped or processed
- 1/3cup - raw buckwheat groats
- 1 handful - parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1 handful - mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 - lemon, thinly sliced
- a few good glugs of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Lay the lemon slices on an oven tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes until the slices start to dry out and the edges crinkle and char.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a salad bowl. Don’t be stingy with the olive oil!
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.