This simple salad is lifted by a couple of special ingredients – a quick pickled onion and crispy fried paneer. The paneer is still good at room temperature, so don’t feel you need to rush it to the table warm. We love it in tacos or as part of a vegetarian banquet. It’s cheap and cheerful but feels just that little bit special. What’s not to like about that!
- 1 - red onion, thinly sliced
- juice of a small lemon
- 1tsp - salt
- 1 - punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1tbsp - chives, finely chopped
- splash of olive oil
- 150g - paneer
- Place onions in a small bowl with the juice of a lemon and a teaspoon of salt. Set aside for 10-15 minutes to let them pickle.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and crumble in the paneer.
- Move the paneer around in the pan as it browns, letting it dry out and crisp. Using homemade paneer, this took a good 5 minutes. If bits get stuck on the bottom of the pan, don’t worry! Use a spatula to scrape them up – they’ll be the yummiest crispy bits!
- Transfer the paneer to a bowl, and then add the tomatoes, chives, and onions.
- Give everything a good toss. You shouldn’t need to add any additional dressing, as the natural juices from the onions will coat the salad and give everything a nice tang.