If you haven’t got a well-stocked spice cupboard, it’s time to make amends! Spices are your friend – and particularly in this dish. If you’re vegetarian and chickpeas and kale are on high rotation, you need to be inventive to keep them exciting. Here, the heady flavours of paprika, cumin and saffron turn this quick weeknight meal into something special.
- 1 - onion, finely sliced
- 2 - garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 - small zucchini, diced
- 1tsp - smoked paprika
- 1tsp - ground cumin
- 1tsp - saffron strands, soaked in 1/3 cup of water for 5 minutes
- 400g - tinned chickpeas
- 1 - bunch of kale, roughly copped
- 1/3cup - pumpkin seeds, roasted
- 1tbsp - heaped crème fraiche
- Lemon wedge to serve
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, and zucchini.
- Fry for five minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in the paprika and cumin to coat the vegetables
- Add in the chickpeas and saffron water, then the kale. Put a lid on the pan and turn the heat down to low.
- Allow the greens to fry gently and start wilting. Depending on how tough your kale is, that might take between 3-5 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the pumpkin seeds and crème fraiche. Serve with a wedge of lemon.