Contains dairy and egg
Isn’t this just a lovely idea? There are a few versions of this dish floating around (pun intended) and its origins can be traced back to a French cookbook for children from 1963.
It makes a perfect afternoon snack or a really fun breakfast! Serve with some avocado to make it a more substantial meal or serve it as is – a perfect little egg.
- 2 - free-range eggs, separated
- 1tbsp - chives, finely chopped
- 1tbsp - parmesan, finely grated
- chilli flakes & lime zest, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Beat the eggs whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold through the chives and the parmesan.
- On an oven tray lined with baking paper carefully divide the egg whites into two mounds and make an indent in each centre with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the oven for three minutes (or until the edges start to brown).
- Remove and tip the egg yolk gently into the centre.
- Place back in the oven for three to five minutes (in our oven three minutes gave a very runny yolk so leave a little longer if you prefer it harder).
- Sprinkle with chilli flakes and lime zest before eating straight away!