This salad is perfect for warmer days, either as a weekday accompaniment to lunch or dinner, or as part of a feasting table.
A mandolin will make quick work of this (watch your fingers!), but if you don’t have one, taking a little care to slice the vegetables thinly will pay off.
If you leave the salad to stand before serving, the orange juice and vinegar will help mellow the sharpness of the red onion.
Road tested by a 5-year-old who happily ate this at dinner is a testament to what a winning salad this is!
- 1 - medium fennel, sliced thinly
- 2 - cucumbers, sliced thinly
- 2 - oranges, peeled and segmented
- 1/2 - red onion, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp - sherry or apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Seeds from half a pomegranate
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl apart from the pomegranate seeds.
- Let the salad sit in the fridge for 15 minutes to let the flavours develop.
- When ready to serve, garnish with the pomegranate seeds.