Contains egg and dairy
The smell of these in the oven screams Christmas, but really, they are good any time of year! Ginger is so warm and inviting. We are sure Santa and his reindeer will appreciate a little jar of these with a glass of milk waiting for them under the Christmas tree.
- 1/2cup - blanched almonds
- 1cup - fine coconut flour
- 1/2tsp - baking soda
- 1tbsp - butter
- 2tbsp - coconut oil
- 2 - dates
- 1tbsp - vanilla essence
- 2tbsp - ground ginger
- 2 - eggs
- To decorate (optional):
- 1tsp - cacao powder
- 1tbsp - cinnamon
- 2/3cup - cacao butter
- Soak two dates overnight in enough water to cover them.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Roughly chop the soaked dates and put them into the food processor along with the other ingredients.
- Whiz them together for 3 minutes or until a coarse dough has formed.
- Place the dough on the bench and roll it to around 1/2 cm thick.
- Using a person-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many biscuits as possible and lay them on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Re-roll the dough and repeat the process until there is no dough left.
- Bake them in the oven for 7-10 minutes or until the biscuits turn golden and smell aromatic.
To decorate (optional):
- Melt the cacao butter in a pan over low heat and stir in the cinnamon and cacao powder for 2 minutes or until a smooth paste is formed.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Using a piping tool, the end of a skewer or a matchstick, decorate your gingerbread men with faces and little clothes!