One of Italy’s most famous dishes and one of our favourites, perfect for a wintery meatless Monday.
This scrumptious veggie bake is a one dish wonder and super simple. It’s ideal for entertaining and an excellent vegetarian main course. It also reheats well so pack leftovers into a container and take it for lunch the next day. A simple and fresh garden salad is all you need to go with this, yes, even in winter. Ok enough talking it up…follow the simple steps and try it out for yourselves!
- 3 - large eggplants, sliced 2 cm thick- lengthwise or rounds
- 400g - tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 - balls of buffalo mozzarella (approximately 125g each), thinly sliced
- 4 - tomatoes, sliced
- 1 - handful of basil leaves
- 1/2cup - grated parmesan
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Spread the eggplant out on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for around 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
- Spread a layer of the tomato sauce over the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Layer eggplant slices then sliced mozzarella and sliced tomato, then scatter a few basil leaves. You should be able to complete three layers.
- Sprinkle the parmesan over the top, drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes until golden and sizzling.