Tomatoes are often plentiful and cheap in summer, so take advantage of them and make yourself a batch of these oven-dried tomatoes! They are so easy to make, just pop them in the oven and forget about them for a few hours, then use them to jazz up grazing platters, pasta, homemade pizza, salads, or cooked breakfasts. What’s more, they are healthier than most of the store-bought ones, which are often swimming in unfavourable oils.
We seasoned ours with fresh thyme, but any fresh or dried herb works well, you also have the option to add in your own flavour infusions such as garlic clove, chilli, thyme, oregano, rosemary or bay if you are jarring them. They will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge, although we are sure you will get through them well before then!
- 500g - cherry or smaller heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2tsp - salt
- 5 - sprigs of fresh thyme (or any other fresh or dried herb)
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil (you will need more if jarring)
- Preheat the oven to 130°C.
- Place the tomatoes on a lined baking tray and sprinkle with salt. Let them stand for 10-15 minutes while the oven heats up.
- Pop them in the oven for 4 hours or until they are slightly dry but still a little bit juicy.
- Remove them from the oven, sprinkle them with herbs and drizzle over a bit of olive oil.
- If jarring, ensure you have washed out the jar with hot soapy water, and it is thoroughly dry. Pop the tomatoes in along with your chosen flavour infusion, then cover with olive oil.