This is so delicious we made it three times before remembering to photograph it! You could use this as a taco filling or serve it alongside a protein of choice such as grilled barramundi- yum!
- 3 - medium eggplant
- 1tbsp - olive oil
- 1 - brown onion, roughly chopped
- 1tsp - cinnamon
- 1tsp - paprika
- 1tsp - ground chipotle powder (or use chilli powder)
- 400g - tin diced tomatoes
- 1tbsp - tamarind puree
- 1/4cup - apple cider vinegar
- watercress and sunflower seeds to garnish
- Heat the oven to 200°C.
- Put the eggplants on a baking tray and roast for an hour to an hour and a half, depending on their size. They will be ready when it feels like the skin is flaky and pulled away from the flesh inside.
- Take out of the oven and cool slightly.
- Cut each eggplant in half, scoop out the flesh and drain in a colander while you make the sauce.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and saute the onion over medium heat for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the ground spices and stir for a minute before adding the tomatoes, tamarind and cider vinegar.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken.
- Put the eggplant in a small baking dish and toss half the sauce through it.
- Return to the oven for 10 minutes before garnishing with watercress, sunflower seeds and serving.