Tinned baked beans often have a load of added sugar. While there are many variations on a homemade version, we’ve come up with a relatively quick option that uses minimal ingredients and is child-friendly. Feel free to play around with the recipe, using different types of beans, or other spices – you could swap out the cinnamon for cumin and paprika for example or if you wanted to loosely twist this into a bean chilli, sub in some kidney beans and add a bit of ground chilli.
- 1tbsp - olive oil
- 1 - onion, roughly diced
- 2 - cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 - thumb sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 2tsp - ground cinnamon
- 1tsp - cacao (optional)
- 400g - tinned borlotti beans, drained
- 400g - tinned cannellini beans, drained
- 400g - tinned adzuki beans, drained
- 800g - tinned tomatoes
- 1/2cup - vegetable or chicken stock
- yoghurt and coriander for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- Fry the onion, garlic, and ginger until they start to soften.
- Stir in the spices, and gently cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the liquid from the tins of beans, and then add the beans to the saucepan.
- Stir to make sure the beans are well coated with the onion mixture.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock, bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid, and simmer gently for an hour.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt and sprinkle with coriander leaves.