We love a good pear! These lightly spiced pears give the comfort of a delicious dessert but without loads of added sugar. AND they involve just one easy cooking process. Get poaching!
- 1/2cup - raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 - whole star anise
- 5 - whole cardamom pods
- 5 - whole cloves
- 2 - cinnamon quills
- 1 - vanilla bean pod
- peel and juice of one orange
- 4 - small pears, peeled with stalk still attached
- plain coconut yoghurt, to serve
- fresh fruit, such as blueberries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Place the chopped almonds on a baking tray and roast for 4 – 6 minutes, until browned and smelling toasty. Check them regularly – they’ll burn quickly!
- Fill a large pot with water and add the star anise, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, the pulp of vanilla bean, orange peel and juice and bring to the boil.
- Once bubbling away, reduce to a gentle simmer and add the pears. Poach for approximately 15 minutes (depending on the size of the pear) until just soft. You should easily be able to insert a knife.
- Remove pears once cooked and set aside, increase the heat on the spiced liquid and allow it to bubble away for a further 15 minutes to reduce and create a pouring syrup.
- To serve, place a pear in a bowl and top with a spoonful of coconut yogurt, roasted almonds and fresh fruit. Spoon a little of the spiced poaching syrup over the pear to keep it super moist.